11 February 2014

Birmingham Artisans: Charles Jones (Jeweller and Silversmith)

Charles Jones had been in partnership with Edward Thomason as 'Jewellers and Silverworkers' until December 1823, when Jones opened his own grand toy-shop/repository, the Pantechnetheca. Jones entered two marks into the Assay Office, the first on 6th October 1824 as 'Silversmith of toy shop' and the second on 20th July 1828 as 'Silversmith & toy warehouse (Pantechnitheca)'.

Charles Jones's silver mark from 1824.
Jones's mark for silver plate was taken out 21st June 1824, and was an altar and blaze [below].


Charles Jones declared bankruptcy in 1837.

NOTES:
Partnership dissolved, from The London Gazette, 1824.

No comments:

Post a Comment