John Rawstorne. Architect. 1761-1832
Rawstorne was a pupil of James Wyatt, an important eighteenth century architect, and worked with other members of the Wyatt family, including Samuel, designer of the notable frontage of the New Street Theatre. The Wyatt family also worked on Soho House and Rawstorne produced plans for the alterations of Soho in 1788, though they were never implemented.* He began his work as an architect in Birmingham, living in Summer Hill and Ashted, moving to Doncaster in 1795 and then to York. Much of his work was conducted in these three towns as well as Sheffield.
Buildings Designed in Birmingham
1790-3: Crescent, Cambridge Street (never completed)
1792-4: Altered Blue Coat School, St. Philip's Church Yard (demolished)
1792-3: Cavalry Barracks, Great Brook Street (demolished)
In Birmingham, his designs for the Crescent were never implimented, mainly due to a building depression in the town, which may have influenced his decision not to remain. Rawstorne also made alterations to the Blue Coat School, a charity school near St. Philip's church, named so due to the colour of the children's uniforms. These alterations consisted of an extension and a new facade to the existing building. Near to his home in Ashted, Rawstorne was commissioned to build the Cavalry Barracks, implimented after the riots of 1791.
1793: Designed Sheffield Royal Infirmary (opened 1797)
1795: Moved to Doncaster (an excellent pamphlet has been produced about the South Parade in Doncaster, where much of Rawstorne's architectural work in that town is, with descriptions and images of these: view here)
* References on request.
Click here for an article about John Rewstorne by Peter Coote for the Doncaster Civic Trust